Applies to: Scarlett Solo, 2i2, & 2i4 (First and Second Generation)
If you have connected your Bus Powered Scarlett to your computer and you are not hearing it, please run through these troubleshooting steps to make sure everything is set correctly.
- Windows users will need the ASIO USB driver that Apple users will not. Windows users, Please select your Scarlett in the dropdown menu of our Downloads Page. Download and install the USB driver with your Scarlett disconnected from the computer and then restart the computer before reconnecting.
- Ensure that your Scarlett is selected as the computer's default sound device.
- Apple: Navigate to the Apple Logo > System Preferences > Sound and select your Scarlett as the default Input and Output device.
- Windows: Navigate to the Speaker Icon on the Start menu tab (usually on the bottom right of the computer) and right click on this to pull up Sound Devices. Select "Focusrite USB" as the default Playback and Recording device.
- Your speakers/headphones will need to be connected to the Scarlett as opposed to the computer's built in audio port. Most headphones will require a quarter inch adaptor to connect to the Scarlett's headphone output. When connecting to Powered Monitors from the Scarlett 2i2 and 2i4, it is recommended that you are using Balanced Cables. The Scarlett Solo does not have a balanced output so will use unbalanced cables.
- The silver Monitor dial is the main speaker output volume knob. Be sure this dial is raised when using speakers connected to the Scarlett. The smaller silver dial above the Headphone input is the separate Headphone output and will need to be raised separately when using headphones connected to the Scarlett. With the selection made in Step 2, audio will play through the Outputs through any media application (i.e. iTunes / YouTube). Slowly increase the monitor dial from the minimum to a comfortable level.
- On the Scarlett Solo and 2i2 set the Direct Monitor switch to "On". On the Scarlett 2i4 set the Direct Monitor knob to '12:00'.
- If you are using the Scarlett CM25 (Bundled with Studio Packs) or any other Condenser microphone be sure that you have Phantom Power engaged and you are connected via an XLR cable. Instruments and Line Level sources will fit in the center of our combination jacks via quarter inch cable. Similar to the output, when setting input level slowly increase the dial from the minimum to a comfortable level.
If you are still having trouble with your Bus Powered Scarlett after running these steps please Contact Technical Support.