Applies to: Clarett Thunderbolt
Please note that the below steps are only needed on Apple Silicon (M1/M2/M3) systems, they're not necessary on Intel-based Mac systems.
A new Clarett Thunderbolt driver for both Intel and Apple Silicon systems is now available from our downloads page here (select your product from the dropdown list).
Apple Silicon (M1/M2/M3) computers come with increased security, which prevents users from installing (and using) non-Apple drivers (kernel extensions) by default. To install the Focusrite Thunderbolt driver (or any other 3rd party driver) you must follow these steps before you run the installer:
- Switch off your Apple Silicon (M1/M2/M3)-based system.
- Hold the power button to switch the computer on in Recovery mode (keep the button pressed until the Startup Options dialogue appears on the screen).
- Click Options, then click Continue. Afterwards, select your account and click next. A prompt for your password will appear, enter the password to your account to continue.
- At the top of the screen, you'll see the taskbar with the Apple Logo in it. Click “Utilities”, then select “Startup Security Utility”.
- Select your boot drive (generally named “Macintosh HD”).
- Go to the “Security Policy” section, click “Reduced Security” and then “Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers”. This is an Apple requirement when installing any kernel extension from any manufacturer, not just our driver.
- Click the Apple logo in the top left corner and then select “Restart” to restart your computer.
Once your computer boots up again as normal, run the Focusrite Thunderbolt Driver installer.
Midway through the installer, you should see a prompt to “Allow” the extension to load, please see this article for more information.
Once installation is complete, restart your computer a final time to complete the process.
More information about the security settings on Apple Silicon systems can be found in this Apple article.