Applies to: 2nd Generation Scarlett Solo, 2i2, & 2i4
If you have registered your Second Generation Scarlett unit and are unsure what to do next, the following steps will get you set up and ready to record!
Note: This article will be moving forward with Ableton Live Lite.
1. Be sure that you have the current Windows driver for your Scarlett installed: https://focusrite.com/downloads (Be sure that your Scarlett is disconnected during this download and then restart the computer/reconnect the Scarlett after installation)
2. Once reconnected, allow the Scarlett a moment to connect to the driver and look for the green USB light to display a positive connection. From here, navigate to the speaker icon (most usually on the bottom right of the main windows bar). Right-click on this icon and select Playback Devices, ensuring that your Scarlett 2nd Generation is set as the Default Device, then do the same in the next tab for “Recording Devices”. Now open your preferred media outlet (i.e. Windows Media Player/Spotify/YouTube) and play a familiar song to ensure audio is playing from Scarlett's Headphone and/or Monitor Output.
3. Now that the Scarlett is connected properly to the computer, please navigate to Focusrite.com. Log in to your account page by navigating to the top right corner of the web page and clicking on the icon, pictured below, highlighted in red. Once logged in you will automatically be routed to your account page, from here select the My Software tab at the top.
4. When this populates, please scroll down until you see “Ableton Live Lite” and click on “Get Ableton Live Lite”, this will direct you to the Ableton download page, make note of your activation code as you will need it after Ableton has been downloaded. Be sure that the appropriate Windows version is selected and then select “Download”. After installation, the Ableton software will prompt you to Authorize your software with the activation code. Before entering your activation code you will either log into your Ableton account or create a new one, and it will direct you to the activation page.
5. Open the Ableton Live Lite DAW software and navigate to “Options > Preferences”. This is where we will confirm that the Ableton software is ready to communicate with the Scarlett 2nd Generation. On the left side of this tab, please select “Audio” and two tabs should populate on the right. Select “ASIO” under “Driver Type” and “Focusrite USB ASIO” under “Audio Device”. This will now populate the rest of this window, where you can select your Sample Rate and Buffer Size, which will likely default to 44.1kHz and 256 samples prospectively. If you are unsure what to set your Sample Rate and Buffer Size to, we suggest matching these default settings. Once this is set, we are now ready to test Ableton!
6. Enable the I/O button on the bottom right and select “External Input 1” or “External Input 2” under “Audio From” which will reflect the inputs from the Scarlett 2nd Generation. From here click the square with the circle in it under the channel number which will light up in red and show that you are record enabled. Now, when you play your instrument or talk into your microphone through the Scarlett, the Ableton channel will display the audio meter volume of the sound coming in.
7. Once you have verified your audio signal within the Ableton channel, you are ready to record. For a more familiar recording view, hit the “Tab” key or select the arrangement/session view icons to the right of the Master fader. The channels will then align horizontally, and you will see your record-enabled channel on the right. From here, hit the “Stop” (black square) button at the top of the page to bring your marker to the beginning of the session and then hit the “Record” (black circle) button. Your channel will be highlighted in red and the waveform of your recording will appear on your screen.
You are now set to enjoy your new Scarlett 2nd Generation with Ableton Live Lite, enjoy!
*For further information on using the Ableton software, please view the following tutorial videos: Ableton | Learn Live
*If you get lost along the way, please enjoy these Getting Started videos that we have created to help with this process: Getting Started | Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen